How to Pray
Why and How We Are to Pray
Why Pray? The importance of daily communication with God through prayer is so important that it is mentioned over 250 times in Scripture! Prayer is also the only thing that the disciples asked Jesus to teach them to do.
How to Pray: Jesus told his disciples to pray in this way (read Matthew 6:5-14) -
The Lord’s Prayer
Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name, (Adoration)
Give us today our daily
Forgive us our debts, as we have also forgiven our debtors. (Confession)
And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one. (Supplication)
For yours is the kingdom, the
Use the A.C.T.S. method to pray in this way:
ADORATION - A position of submission: mind, body, & spirit
Creator, Sustainer, Provider, Redeemer, Savior, King of Kings, Lord of Lords, All Powerful,
- Is. 66:2 -God says, "I esteem those who are humble and contrite in spirit and tremble at My Word!"
- Ps. 18:27 -You save the humble but bring low the proud and haughty!
- Ps. 25:9 -He guides the humble in what is right & teaches them His ways!
- Pr. 3:34 -He mocks the proud but gives grace to the humble!
- James 4:10 -Humble yourself before the Lord & He will lift you up!
CONFESSION - To admit our faults realigns our heart to the proper attitude
- 1 John 1:9 if we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
- Ps 32:5 - I will confess my sin to the Lord & you forgive the guilt of my sin.
- James 5:16 - Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous man is powerful!
THANKSGIVING - Joy and praise overflow from a grateful heart
- 1 Tues. 5: 18 -Give thanks in ALL circumstances, for this IS Gods will for you in Christ Jesus!
- Ps. 95:2 -Let us come before him with thanksgiving & extol him with
- Jonah 2:9 -But I, with a song of thanksgiving, will sacrifice to you.
- Phil. 4:6 -Don't be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.
- Ps. 100:4 -Enter his gates with thanksgiving and his courts with praise!
SUPPLICATION - Our intercession and requests; our heart is His will
- Ps. 119:170 - May my supplication come before you; deliver me according to your promise.
- 1 Tim. 2: 1-2 - I urge, then, first of all, that requests, prayers,
intercessionand thanksgiving be made for everyone- for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness.
Who to Pray on Behalf of:
When: Make time to pray throughout your day, all during your waking hours.
Where: Anywhere! Standing, sitting, kneeling, driving, etc.
Sermons on Prayer: To see Pastor Ken's sermons on how to pray, go to SERMONS and watch the series: "Lord Teach Me to Pray"
Prayer Request: Go here to make a Prayer Request to Northshore Christian Church.